Friday, May 3, 2013

Second Semester is Almost Done!

I can hardly believe that Robbie will be done with his second semester of Dental School after this coming Tuesday! Second semester seems like a total blur compared to first semester. At this rate, I better start planning his graduation party already!

The school had a nice little barbecue outside today with free burgers, hot dogs, chips, and drinks so I met Robbie on campus and had lunch with him. (Don't worry, he grabbed my food for me so I wasn't sharing any of my potential germs with the public. I'm still not feeling sick at all but I know that strep can have an incubation period of 3-5 days so I'm still not completely in the clear.)

This week the first years had three finals and a lab practical. This coming Tuesday he has another final and another lab practical as well. The students also had several fake teeth that they had to get graded before the end of today. They had to make 10 preps (teeth that have been "prepared" for fillings by drilling the right size/shape of hole) and 10 restorations (fillings that have been placed in the preps and carved to have accurate anatomy, occlusion, etc.)

This semester they covered Class I and Class II amalgams as well as Class I, Class II, and Class III composite restorations. Here's a chart I found that gives a breakdown of the classifications of restorations:

I honestly couldn't remember all the classes he took this semester so I asked him to list them for me:
  1. Principles of Direct Operative (lecture and lab)
  2. Occlusion (lecture and lab)
  3. Ethics
  4. Microbiology
  5. Cariology
  6. Physiology
  7. Immunology
  8. Pathology
  9. Infection Control
It all seems like a lot when you list it out that way, but all you can do is take it one day at a time. If you focus too much on "what's to come" you can get totally overwhelmed. And worrying about it won't change anything.

"This is why I tell you: Don't worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Isn't life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the sky: they don't sow or reap or gather into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Aren't you worth more than they? Can any of you add a single cubit to his height by worrying? And why do you worry about clothes? Learn how the wildflowers of the field grow: they don't labor or spin thread. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was adorned like one of these! If that's how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and thrown in the furnace tomorrow, won't He do much more for you-- you of little faith? So don't worry saying, 'What will we eat?' or, 'What will we drink?' or "What will we wear?' For the idolators eagerly seek all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be provided for you. Therefore, don't worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Matthew 6:25-34
 "Don't worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses every thought, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." -Philippians 4:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment