Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Dental School Wife Club

I spent a good deal of time today searching for blogs about Dental School and being the wife of a Dental Student and was surprised at how few there really are! I found a couple that were from several years ago but they hadn't been written on in 2 or 3 years. I did come across a fun blog called Decorating Through Dental School written by the wife of a Dental Student, but it is focused more on home decor ideas on a budget and less about Dental School itself. I've also been reading an excellent blog called Diary of a Dental School Wife written by the wife of a soon-to-be Dental Student.

While it's not a blog, I did come across the website for the Alliance of the ADA and they happen to have a Student Spouse program (which I happened to join for $5 because I'm just that cool). Here's a description of the program:
As the spouse of an American Student Dental Association (ASDA) member, you are eligible for a Student Membership in the Alliance of the American Dental Association. Membership in the Alliance provides opportunities to interact with others who share common concerns and interests, as well as opportunities to participate in special conferences, workshops, and community programs related to dentistry and dental health.
I guess I'm just wishing there was more of a sense of community among Dental School wives. While I am in no way trying to say that having a husband in Dental School is anywhere close to the challenge and sacrifice of having a husband in the military, I am certainly jealous of the sense of camaraderie and support military wives have with one another. It's like an unspoken club where everyone just seems to understand each other a little better because of the shared experience.

I want to hear the stories of other Dental School wives. I want to hear what they have enjoyed, what they have hated, what have been their joys, what has made them cry, what they have learned, how they are growing, what has made them laugh. That's what I hope this blog will be-- a place for other wives to read about what I experience as Robbie goes through Dental School, to gain encouragement from it, and to share their stories as well.

1) WHAT I HAVE ENJOYED ABOUT DENTAL SCHOOL
I like the routine. I like the predictability of seeing his whole schedule for the semester and knowing what time we'll need to get up in the morning, what time he will likely get home each day, what time I should bring him lunch, when we can go on vacation, when he will be extra busy so I can plan accordingly, etc.
I have also enjoyed being a stay at home wife. Before we moved, I worked full time but now I have more time to do the things I really want to do like keeping my house in order, planning yummy meals, working out, doing crafts, writing a blog, etc.
2) WHAT I HAVE HATED ABOUT DENTAL SCHOOL
Not being able to help him more. In spite of the fact that I am trained as a Dental Assistant, Robbie has already surpassed me in his dental knowledge (by quite a bit!). As a Dental Assistant, I was focused on the task of assisting-- keeping the dentist's line of vision clear, handing him the next instrument, taking treatment notes, but I didn't pay as much attention to the techniques the dentist was using. I wish I could be more help when Robbie asks me what bur the dentist used for certain fillings or how the dentist used a specific instrument. It makes me feel helpless at times when he is confused about something and I have no way of helping him.
 3) WHAT HAS BROUGHT ME JOY
Knowing that I am making a huge difference by doing the simple day-to-day chores. I get so much joy from being able to have a hot meal ready for him when he comes home, that he doesn't have to stress about whether or not he has clean scrubs to wear, that he has more time to study and practice in the lab because he doesn't have to go to the grocery store or get the oil in the car changed. 
4) WHAT HAS MADE ME CRY
Praying for Robbie after he has had particularly rough days. Praying for him to have victory and to experience success but that his joy won't be determined by the grades he gets or how well he feels he did in lab. Visiting our church back home and missing the community we had there. The end of the first semester made me cry in relief not because it was awful, but because I finally knew that we would be able to do this.
5) WHAT I HAVE LEARNED
That I can be very selfish at times and that the purpose of marriage is not to make me happy, but rather to make me holy. Happiness is an awesome by-product of marriage (and believe me, I get a lot of happiness from my marriage), but the true purpose of marriage is to make me more like Jesus and to help my spouse be more like Jesus (which in the end leads to something much more permanent than regular old happiness-----it leads to joy).
6) HOW I AM GROWING
Before I met Robbie, God brought me to a place where I knew that even if I never got married, Jesus was enough. For the first two years of Robbie and I's marriage, I really desperately wanted to have children. But over the past year, God has been freeing me from that sense of desperation to be a mother and replaced it with a quiet confidence that even if I never have kids, Jesus is enough. So if I become a mother, that's wonderful. If I don't, I will still praise Him!
 "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will leave this life. The LORD gives, and the LORD takes away. Praise the name of Yahweh!" -Job 1:21
7) WHAT HAS MADE ME LAUGH
Finding fake teeth tumbling around in my dryer. Translating for Robbie when he pulls out all sorts of Dental jargon while telling his parents what he's learning in school. Corny Dental puns (see t-shirt below). How there always seems to be an episode in crime shows where the Dentist is the murderer. Steve Martin singing the Dentist Song in Little Shop of Horrors.


If you're a Dental School wife, please share your experiences in the comments!

15 comments:

  1. Let's do this Ariel- let us start some kind of support network / dental school wives club. I totally get the military wife reference- and I envy the camaraderie as well (of course, with that caveat that what they go through must be worlds tougher than what we go through). Great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh- and that shirt made me literally lol. I love puns :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so the both of you are in the dental industry, eh? That's cute. Well, as for your worries, it's true that there are a lot of things a dentist, or soon-to-be-dentist (in your husband's case) have to attend to and take care of. There's focusing on the study, preparing for a real-life practice, setting up his own clinic, and ensuring good quality service for the patients. But as I see it, the way you support him in every way you can, you both will get through all of it. More power to you, and I really hope you'd find other dentist-to-be wives out there to whom you can share your simple joys and successes!
    Bernita @ OrthoSynetics

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How hard I you think it would be to be a dental student and a wife? Im trying to decide between dental hygien and being a dentist but I I'm also planning on being married at the time I would be in dental school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carlie, thanks for stopping by and commenting. First off, I will say that there are plenty of married women in Dental School. I think that being married while in Dental School can actually be very helpful. I wrote some about the benefits here (http://lovelikeenamel.blogspot.com/p/about-dental-school.html). I wouldn't base your decision between Hygiene School and Dental School on the fact that you will be married but rather on what truly seems like your ideal career path. Hygiene is awesome. Being a Dentist is awesome. Both are fantastic, valuable careers and I personally feel that being married while going to either school would work just fine.

      The only thing I would think about if you do decide to get married is that if you guys want to have kids in the near future, I feel it would be extremely challenging to be pregnant while in Dental School. I have little knowledge of what Hygiene School would be like for an expecting mom or what kind of maternity leave you could take. However, in working at the Dental School, I have observed what several of the pregnant students go through and it would not be something I could personally do. Because Dental School is so rigorous, they have very little time for any maternity leave (I think most have taken about 3 weeks-- I can't imagine being away from my newborn that early!). If you guys aren't planning on having kids or are wanting to wait until after you're done with school then this won't really be applicable. Also, I just want to reiterate that these are my personal opinions based on what I have observed while working at the Dental School and what I know of my own personality.

      Hope this helps and again, thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for your post! My husband will be starting dental school at the University of Louisville this Summer. After he starts in July, I'm expecting my first child in August! I'm planning to stay at home with the baby and help him with his rigorous schedule. I'd like to know if you get enough down time with your husband? Will it be too stressful with a newborn at home? We won't know anyone since we have lived in Idaho for the past 4 years and then moving to Kentucky... I'm a little nervous I'll get lonely because he'll be away so much.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Congratulations on your pregnancy! I guess I would answer your down time question by saying it fluctuates. There will be a lot of days when he comes home with a lot of studying to do. I was at home Robbie's first year and I tried to have a yummy dinner ready for him when he got off so we could spend that time together eating and chatting instead of me cooking. We also chose to live close to the school so he wouldn't spend a lot of time commuting. Here is my blog post about some other things that helped us:
      http://lovelikeenamel.blogspot.com/2013/03/how-to-thrive-while-your-husbands-in.html

      I can't say just yet from personal experience what it's like to have a baby in Dental School (I'm due with our first in May). I do, however, have several friends whose husbands are in Robbie's class who have had babies during school and they made it work. I think the most important thing will be to remember to have grace for one another. You both will be tired. You both will be working hard. But a baby is an incredible blessing and I think he/she will bring joy to your home that you couldn't imagine.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this post is several years old, but I found it very helpful! My husband is currently completing a masters degree and will hopefully be starting dental school this fall. I currently work full time in a very demanding corporate environment. I would love to be a stay at home wife/mother so I can help him and relieve him of any day to day household tasks. How did/do you afford to live and support your family? Student loans? I really want to have kids while he's in dental school but I don't know how I could go on maternity leave or stay at home with the baby. Any advice would be awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw your comment but I'm about to head to bed. I will try to write a full response tomorrow if I can.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Sorry it took me a few days to get back with you. Before he started school we just saved as much as we could. I was working full time and he was working part time. His first year I stayed at home. We lived close to the school and shared a car (so no extra car payments, insurance, etc). I made most of our meals at home and we just lived off what we had saved before school plus student loans. His second and third year I worked full time at the Dental School. Rent in Denver was starting to get out of control so we chose to purchase a home off my income so we would have a set mortgage instead of rent that kept going up every year.

      Honestly I think the biggest goal we had was to just keep our expenditures as low as possible (eating at home, no cable TV (we did Netflix streaming instead), sharing 1 car, etc). At the end of each semester if we had loan money left over (which we almost always did) we put it into savings as back-up for future semesters.

      At the end of his third year we had a baby. Due to our income level she qualified for Medicaid (which I don't feel too bad about considering we are going to be paying back into the system a thousand times more once he's a Dentist).

      Hopefully that helps some...

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing this valuable information! Your insights are greatly appreciated, and I'm sure they will be helpful to anyone looking for a dentist in the Kuna, ID . It's wonderful to see such informative content that can guide us to the right dental care. I'll definitely keep this in mind when searching for a emergency dental care . Keep up the excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing, we're passionate about creating healthy smiles for the whole family - dentist in campbell

    ReplyDelete