Sunday, March 24, 2013

Adventures in Travel

I seriously cannot believe today is the last day of spring break. Robbie's already been to the lab today and has three tests next week! Where did the time go!?

Our trip to Virginia started off a little rocky. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 6:00 am last Saturday. We got to the airport at 4:30 that morning only to be informed by the arrival/departure TV that our flight had been cancelled. While standing in line to find out when we were going to fly out instead, I got a call on my phone informing me of the flight cancellation. Um... thanks for the warning? After two hours at the airport, we finally had our new tickets to fly out at 11:50 that evening.  Here's a picture of a very tired husband showing off our new tickets while we waited for one of his classmates to pick us up (who we felt really bad calling that early in the morning on the first day of spring break).


We ended up having a great time in Virginia once we got there. I loved introducing Robbie to my extended family, seeing the gorgeous mountains of Virginia, and visiting Appomattox for a little Civil War history excursion. 
Here's a picture of us in the McLean House in Appomattox, Virginia where General Lee surrendered to General Grant. Here's a painting of the signing of the terms of surrender which took place in that very room.
Robbie is much more into history than I am, but I still found it pretty interesting and learned a few things about the end of the Civil War.



Here's a picture I took as we drove through the mountains to my relatives' house. I just love Virginia's landscape!


We got back from Virginia on Thursday, then on Friday we drove an hour to Fort Collins to visit our parents and pick up our cat (my parents were watching her while we were away). Out of nowhere, a blizzard came in and forced us to spend the night in Fort Collins because the highway back to Denver was closed! Needless to say, it feels good to finally be back home in my own bed and I'm looking forward to getting back on a good sleeping schedule. What a crazy week but we had so much fun!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a crazy trip. Glad you were able to have a good time despite some bumps in the road.

    We are looking forward to driving through Virgina on our way to Philly - and this post definitely amped up my excitement even more.

    That last pic is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete