Saturday, April 20, 2013

Food with Friends

We just renewed our lease this morning which makes me really excited for three reasons: 1) I love our apartment; 2) It means we can know for sure that we won't be moving again until at least next May; and 3) This means I can start painting!! Woo hoo!! Our lease allows us to paint as long as we restore it to the original color (white) before we move out. I was holding off in case we decided to move somewhere else but now that I know we'll be here another year, I feel like I can commit to a new color. I'm one of those weirdos who really love to paint and find it more therapeutic than bothersome. As I get closer to deciding on colors, I will have to post  a few pictures of what I'm thinking of doing. 

This evening we're having dinner with two other couples we met through Dental School. Instead of making one big meal though, we're all bringing finger foods to share. This can sometimes be a little challenging because a lot of finger foods have gluten (which Robbie cannot eat). Here's what I've decided to make:


This is her picture, not mine. Hopefully mine will look half as good!


 
This is a copycat recipe from The Melting Pot! They actually won't let me use their photo, but click on the title to take you to their website.


 Her photo, not mine. I bought gluten free cookies and fruit for dipping!


I will give an update tomorrow about how all of these turned out. I unfortunately don't have a pumpkin to serve the dip in, so it won't look quite as snazzy. Also, I am attempting to make the fondue in my crock pot so we'll see how that goes! 

Just looking at these photos is making me hungry already! One of the other gals is bringing homemade white strawberry-lemon sangria. *so excited!!!* Both of my friends are really good cooks so any time we get together I feel like we have such amazing food! I enjoy baking a lot more than cooking, so I'm striving to keep up with the delicious goodies they always bring.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're going to have a great night!

    I'm jealous you get to paint! I found a great idea that a lot of military wives do when they aren't allowed to paint (on Pinterest of course haha). You buy fabric and paint the wall with liquid starch, put the fabric up, and then paint over the fabric. When you are moving, you just peel off the fabric and wipe down the walls with a sponge and water. That's all - no mess, no ruined walls! http://sugarnspiceinthelandofballsnsticks.blogspot.com/2011/01/fabric-wallpaper.html

    That said, it sounds like you are A) able and B) willing to paint, so I can't wait to see what color(s) you pick :)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about that, too. I've never used liquid starch on clothes even, let alone a whole wall with fabric so I'm curious but apprehensive. haha I'm so into the "tried and true" methods that I have a hard time trying something new. I'm thinking of painting what is currently our office because we want to use it as the baby room eventually. But that means I would have to use a more gender neutral pallet since we aren't even pregnant and obviously don't know what we'll be having.

    ReplyDelete