Tuesday, July 9, 2013

End of Year Trip

We are now in the final countdown of Robbie's first year of Dental School! His last finals are in one week and his last practical is on the 19th. Then he has a week and a half to devote completely to studying for the Part I boards. After that, he'll officially be a DS2!

In celebration of this milestone, we decided to go on a trip together. Since it will likely be our last trip before having kids we decided to make it a really exciting one by going somewhere neither of us has been before. We ended up finding a great flight and hotel deal on Priceline for 5 days/4 nights in San Juan, Puerto Rico!! This is especially exciting for me because I studied Spanish for 9 years and I have yet to visit a place where the chief language is Spanish. Puerto Rico was also a great option because my passport still has my maiden name on it (P.R. is a U.S. territory, so you don't need a passport to fly there). I just can't wait to chill on the beach with my hubby, drinking a pina colada and celebrating the end of the first chapter of Dental School.

I seriously can hardly wait!!! This gorgeous picture is originally from http://my.lulac.org/group/604
Technically we have lived in Denver for just over a year now. Looking back on all that has transpired puts me in complete awe of how good my God is! He provided us with a great apartment that we could afford that was also close to the school. He provided us with incredible friends to share the journey with. He used the difficult periods of Dental School to draw Robbie and I closer together in our prayer life. He gave me a close friend with kids so that I could receive wisdom from her about motherhood. Seeing and helping Robbie grow into the man God desires him to be brings me more fulfillment than any other relationship in my life. I have especially loved experiencing first hand the truth found in Proverbs 11:25 because every time I made it a point to refresh and encourage Robbie, it filled me to the brim with joy.
A generous person will be enriched, and the one who gives a drink of water will receive water. -Proverbs 11:25
What a great year! I wouldn't trade the lessons we've learned for anything in the world! It has been challenging and rough at times, but God has used the difficulty in amazing ways. I can't wait to see what next year brings!
Do not despise the Lord's instruction, my son, and do not loathe His discipline; for the Lord disciplines the one He loves, just as a father, the son he delights in. -Proverbs 3:11-12

3 comments:

  1. just found your blog!! I am starting Dental School in less than a month. I wonder if you can give me any tips on how to prepare my husband. I also will be attending CU! maybe I'll meet your husband :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Farah, thanks for the comment and congratulations on starting Dental School soon! I'm sure you will see Robbie around campus, especially if you go to the lab on the weekends at all in the morning.

    I guess I would tell your husband that you will be pretty busy but if you guys can make time to go on a fun date together once a week, it can make a big difference. Also, I really enjoyed visiting Robbie in the lab or just hanging out with him at the school while he was studying. Robbie said it made studying feel like less of a chore. If you feel like you would like the company and if he has time, maybe occasionally ask your husband to bring something to read and just hang out with you while you study or the two of you could go to Starbucks while you study or something. Lastly, I would tell your husband to take pictures of things you're working on in school so you have a way to remember how far you've come and all the things you've learned.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete