Saturday, August 31, 2013

A New Semester, a New Season

I know it's been two weeks since I last posted but it's been a slightly crazy two weeks so I don't feel too bad.

Some exciting news I have to share is that I got a job at the Dental School! I applied about two months ago and had basically assumed I wasn't going to be called back for an interview since I hadn't heard anything in so long. In the meantime, I was applying for a position at the Disney Store and was offered a job there. Before I could start at the Disney Store, however, I heard back from the school. After making it through the initial interview as well as a secondary, I was offered a position as a Dental Assistant in the Futures Clinic. It's brand new and had only been open for two weeks when I started.


My favorite part about my new job is that I love working with the Dental Students! Right now it's third and fourth years doing screenings (basic check-ups) on patients in the clinic so Robbie's class isn't in there yet, but we still get to have lunch together and go to/from school together. I've already gotten to know quite a few of the upper classmen and I can honestly say that Dental Students have the best personalities! You can tell that they are just loving what they're doing and a lot of them have great senses of humor. I will also admit that it's really entertaining to hear the staff's perspective on the students ("Just be patient with the Dental Students. They have a lot on their minds." etc).

For Robbie, the semester is moving ahead at full speed. In his Indirect Restoration class, they're working on crown preps and temporary crowns and in his Combined Removable Prosthodontics class, they're learning about the process of making Dentures.
We went into the lab one weekend so I could give him tips on making temporary crowns. (Finally, something I can help him with!)
The little purple mold is an impression of the tooth before it was prepped for the crown. You fill that little impression with temporary material and place it back on the tooth after it's been prepped and it gives you a temporary crown in the shape of the original tooth. Ingenious! The tooth on the counter is the temporary crown.
Here's his articulator with his denture wax-ups in place.
In other news, I've been getting to paint a lot lately! A couple weekends ago, I went to Altair's house to add Eeyore and Piglet to her baby room. I also offered to paint a mural at my friend Jeanette's church so I drove over there after work three days this week and painted for several hours. I'm really excited because Robbie and I have been looking for a church to call home ever since we moved and we are going to try going to this one on Sunday. 
The crib will go just below the characters.
Eeyore has always been my personal favorite. I even sleep with a stuffed Eeyore that I have had since elementary school! haha
They asked for the Denver skyline but since it's in a children's area, we made it colorful. :)
And now you know why I haven't written in a couple weeks! I definitely have to say that it has been a little bit of an adjustment going back to work after having not worked for a year. Over the past week, our apartment has gotten so messy because neither of us had the time/energy to tidy up much. We also ate out a lot more than we normally do because we didn't have time to go to the grocery store. Now that I'm done with the mural I will have a lot more time after work, but I still feel spoiled because I always went grocery shopping in the morning during the week instead of on the weekend when it's crowded. I'm sure we will find a good groove to get things done that we need to. I'm so grateful and excited for this job and even if that means our place is a little messier, we will survive just fine!

Hope you're all having a good start to the new school year!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the new job! How exciting :) I had a feeling the other job you hinted at was the Disney Store. Those murals are incredible - you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete